Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Kicking the cycle in the butt

Another update: I started dosing the tank with ammonia on Saturday, so last night was the third time I added ammonia. I add about 20 mL each time, but I'm not sure the concentration of the ammonia solution I use. Originally I put enough in to put the tank up to 4 ppm, which is a lot. Before adding ammonia last night the concentration was all the way down to 0.25 ppm. Nitrites are up to 0.5 ppm, so it looks like I've made some significant progress on the cycle. I've started brainstorming ideas for stocking the tank and exactly how I'll go about doing it, and hopefully I'll have a concrete plan by the end of the week. There are a lot of options...

Monday, November 9
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0.5 ppm

I'll be taking measurements every day. I may not post them every day, but updates should be more frequent and probably more boring for the next couple of weeks.

One other thing, I may have mentioned this a while back, but when I got some ghost shrimp for the freshwater tank, a fry accidentally made its way into the bag, and into the tank. I didn't realistically think it would make it, but it has grown to at least three times its original size and is starting to get more bold in exploring the tank, even towards the top. I know it's a guppy, and had thought it was a female for a while but it's starting to grow a nice tail so it might be male. I was finally able to get a decent picture of it, even though the picture isn't all that good:

http://www.adamhorton.com/files/flog/latrina.jpg

It's swimming right above the plant. It has a name if it's female: Latrina. I've always given female guppies ugly names, but if it turns out to be male, then I guess I have to rethink the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment