Wednesday, November 11, 2009

More cycle happiness

I took some measurements last night, and I was actually kind of surprised:

Tuesday November 10
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.5 ppm

I add enough ammonia to put the concentration well above 2 ppm, and in less than 24 hours, there's already enough of the right bacteria to take that concentration down to zero -- a clean zero, like more zero than I ever got from the last tank. I know this part of the cycle is supposed to go by quickly using this method, but I didn't think it would be this quick. Now we only have to wait until the nitrites come down and we'll be ready to fly.

I started seeding a couple of small filters: one off of the display tank (in the refugium) and one off of the quarantine. When I need them, they'll be ready to quarantine the first fish, which will be gobies and blennies. The clean-up crew (snails, shrimps, copepods, etc.) will go directly into the tank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment