Thursday, November 5, 2009

Measurements and update

Here's an update on the freshwater tank: the plants are starting some new growth, and the java fern looks very good as a result of the lighting change. Even the fish seem a little more active and happy about it. On the sad side I've lost at least two of the ghost shrimp. I'm not sure why, I did an ammonia test and it was zero, and it appears that there's no other damage.

As far as the quarantine tank goes, I think it's about done cycling. I took some measurements last night:
Nitrite: 0.05 ppm
Nitrate: 7.5 ppm
The nitrite keeps getting closer to zero, and the nitrates are under control as well. It's nice to know that something in the saltwater world is going right...

The main tank, on the other hand, is starting to confuse me. I took measurements last night and I found zero on everything -- still. It's been 2 1/2 weeks and I haven't seen anything resembling a higher ammonia level. The raw shrimp I put in there don't appear to be decomposing at all, and it's gotten to the point where I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong. I'll have to ask about this in the forums. Speaking of the forums, I think I'm going to stop posting these messages there because nobody seems interested. Oh well, I'm over it.

The float switch setup arrived in the mail. I'll be installing it this weekend for sure, since I now have everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment